July 17, 2007 – Water Line Break Possibly Linked to Giardia Contamination

July 17th, 2007

A Carmel, Indiana, resident, who tested positive for the waterborne parasite Giardia, says she was not aware that the city had issued a boil notice after two water line breaks in June and July. After drinking tap water, the woman, who did not want to be identified, became

After the first water line break, Carmel residents were instructed to boil their tap water before drinking it. That message was spread through the media, e-mail and neighborhood networks. After the second break, the city used its reverse 911 system to inform the

Carmel City Council President, Rick Sharp, said that a water line had been cut unexpectedly, leading to the

The resident who became ill with bacterial gastroenteritis expressed her belief that more could be done to inform locals about the need to boil their drinking water:

“I’d like procedures in place when there is some disaster or emergency condition, that the people in Carmel are kept informed, and they can take appropriate action to protect themselves and their family.”

For more news on waterborne and foodborne illnesses, please see Topps Recall, Cargill Recall, and Pot Pie Recall.

Entry Filed under: Food Poisoning Outbreaks and Recall News


Calendar

September 2019
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  

Most Recent Posts